Provincial council and water authority elections

On Wednesday 15 March elections for the provincial councils and water authorities will be held. By voting, you help determine who gets to decide on the plans for the province and water authority over the next four years.

When can you vote?

On Wednesday 15 March, from 7.30 to 21.00.

Who can you vote for?

On the websites of your province and water authority, you’ll find information about the political parties and candidates participating in the elections.

In the run-up to the elections a list of candidates will be sent to you at your home address. You can read about the candidates’ plans on their parties’ websites.

What do you need in order to vote?

  • Your voting pass. You will receive your voting pass in the post no later than Wednesday 1 March.
  • Proof of identity. The following are considered valid proof of ID:all passports, identity cards and driving licences from EU countries and from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway; a passport or identity card from Switzerland or a document proving your residence permit issued by the Netherlands. If your identity document has expired, the expiry date must be less than five years ago.

Lost or damaged voting pass?

If your voting pass is lost or damaged, please contact your municipality and request a new one. This can be done in writing up to Friday 10 March or in person at your local municipal office until Tuesday 14 March at 12.00 PM.

Where to vote and accessibility of polling stations

To find the polling station nearest to you, visit the website Waar is mijn stemlokaal (in Dutch, including a map). There, you can also find information about which polling stations have facilities for people with a visual impairment or wheelchair users. You can also ask the municipality about this.

Shortly before the elections, you will also be sent an overview of all polling stations in the post.

Vote in a different municipality

If you want to vote in a different municipality, you must apply for a voter’s pass. You can do so in writing until Friday 10 March or in person at your local municipal office until Tuesday 14 March at 12.00 PM.

A voter’s pass enables you to vote in the provincial council and water authority elections at any polling station in your province or the area served by your water authority.

If you are unable to get to the polling station, you can authorise someone else to vote for you. You can do this in two ways:

  1. By transferring your voting pass to them
  2. By written proxy

Additional information

  • By transferring your voting pass to them

Fill in the back of your voting pass. Give your voting pass to the person you would like to vote for you. You should also give this person a copy of your identity document. This can also be a photo taken on your mobile phone or tablet. Make sure that the information can be clearly read.

  • By written proxy

For this, you need to request a form from your municipality. Both you and the person who will be voting for you need to complete the form. Return the form to the municipality no later than Friday 10 March.

Questions or more information?

Questions? Dial with 'Bureau Verkiezingen' from gemeente Eemsdelta via phonenumber 14 0596. Or mail via We hope to be of assistence.

Visit for more information the website of the Government of the Netherlands about this topic.